Garage Door Safety & Security Tips
An Overhead Garage Door can provide us with years of service and convenience. But please be aware that garage doors can be heavy and dangerous. The spring systems are designed to lift these heavy doors and if not serviced properly they can cause serious personal injury.
Connecting a garage door to an electric garage door opener can make them a little safer since you will not have to manually lift the door. However, electric garage door openers need to be installed correctly and tested often to be sure they are in safe running order. Because of this we recommend you only hire a trained professional to install and service your garage door and opener. For more information you can call us at (608) 783-6080.
Garage door safety tips
- Mount the garage door opener control button out of the reach of small children (at least five feet from the floor) and where you have a clear view of the door.
- Do not let children play with garage door remote controls; explain that the remote controls are not toys.
- Set a good example for children and discuss garage door safety with them; explain how to operate the door safely.
- Test your garage door opener’s reversing mechanism monthly by placing a 2 x 4 board in the door’s path. If the door does not reverse after contacting the object, call an authorized Overhead Door™ Ribbon® distributor at 1-800-929-DOOR for professional repair.
- Know how to use your garage door opener’s emergency release feature. Your owner’s manual provides instructions.
- Visually inspect your garage door each month. Look at the garage door’s springs, cables, rollers and pulleys for signs of wear. If any of these components appear damaged, contact an authorized Overhead Door™ Ribbon®distributor for inspection or repair.
- Do not attempt to repair cables or springs. These parts are under high tension and require special tools for adjustment. Improper handling or disconnection can cause breakage and serious injury.
- To avoid damage to your door and/or opener, make sure you disable and/or remove any door locks, ropes, and/or cables prior to operating your opener.
- Use the release mechanism on the garage door opener to manually open the door using its interior or exterior lift handles. The door should lift smoothly with little resistance and should stay open around three or four feet above the floor. If it is difficult to perform this task, your door may be out of balance, causing premature wear. Call an authorized Overhead Door™ Ribbon® distributor at 1-800-929-DOOR for adjustment.
- To prevent accidents when a garage door is closing, invest in a garage door opener that features photoelectric eye safety beams, which are mounted a few inches off the floor and send an invisible beam across the door’s path. If the invisible beam is broken, the garage door will automatically reverse to its fully open position. The invisible beam provides added safety to the auto reverse mechanism, as the door does not have to contact an object in order to reverse. The Safe-T-Beam® is a standard feature on the entire line of Overhead Door™ garage door openers.
Garage Door Security
- While on vacation or away from home for extended periods of time, unplug the garage door opener unit or use a vacation lock on the wall console switch, which is an optional accessory on Overhead Door™® garage door openers.
- Consider purchasing a garage door opener with rolling code technology, which changes the access codes each time the transmitter is used to prevent code grabbing. Overhead Door™’s CodeDodger® has been incorporated as a standard feature into our full line of openers since 1995.
- Wireless keypads, which activate the garage door opener with a personal identification number (PIN), are available for Overhead Door™® garage door openers. This allows family members to open the door without the use of a key or remote. Never disclose the PIN or leave it written down.
- Never leave the remote control in the car or with a parking attendant. It should be treated like a house key.
- Always lock the door from the garage to the inside of your home for greater safety and security.
- Check to make sure your garage door is closed when you lock your entry doors at night.
Overhead Door™ Company of 7 Rivers Region
Overhead Door™ Company of 7 Rivers Region
W6797 Abbey Road
Onalaska, WI 54650
Call: 608-783-6080 or 800-658-9059
Hours: Monday – Friday: 7:30am – 5:00pm